Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

This week in class we watched, Slumdog Millionaire, one of the breakout movies of the year. I had watched it prior to the class because I had heard rave reviews and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Just like Hollywood, I thought that the movie and the story was fascinating and agreed with all the praise it had been getting. I think what is most fascinating about this movie, and many other movies and TV shows, is the contrast from most peoples every day life. This film shows an entirely different world, something that is very hard to relate to. Hollywood and the general public is obsessed with this idea, whether it be the extremely wealthy or the poor and suffering. People love to watch others lives, lives that they cannot relate to. This can be a dangerous thing, especially since this leaves room for much exaggeration. I'm sure that India did not love the way their country was depicted. India seemed dirty and violent, while their people were corrupt and in poverty. I went on some websites and saw that the people of Mumbai Slum were insulted by the title of the movie, saying that they might be poor but were not dogs. To them, the title made them feel like animals. Hindus were also upset that they were shown killing Muslims and portrayed as violent and cruel people.

This movie is a perfect example of the power of television and film. They way people and places are depicted can have a profound impact on society. People who have never visited India and have only seen this movie will automatically have judgments about the County and culture. So much of what we see and know to be true is a result of media.

Most people think that people want to watch what they can relate to but the more I think about it the more I believe it is the opposite. I guess certain characteristics of characters in film and TV shows, I relate to and love but for the most part their lives I cannot relate to at all. I have no connection between the lifestyle and culture in Slumdog Millionaire as well as the TV shows I watch like gossip girl, Greys Anatomy, Privileged, Sex and the City. I think that two things that tie everyone to TV shows and films are the love stories and friendships. Those two relationships are constant throughout most societies. Yet, the settings in which most of these relationships take place are completely different from my life and the lives of most.

No comments:

Post a Comment